torsdag 14. oktober 2010

Look stupid more often

The Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss has said that ”I wish people would dear to look stupid more often. We would all have more fun!”

I once gave a lecture to a large audience in an amphi. I realised as I was talking that there were smiles and looks not related to what I said. I asked one in the front row what was happening. She told me my trousers had a huge tear in the back! My underwear shined through! How embarrassing, and certainly a distraction for them and me!
I made the following deal: I would finish the remaining 30 minutes of my lecture without turning my back to them once, if they promised to listen to what I said. It became a strange but fun session. I use the white board and the flip chart a lot, so it was challenging too. I certainly remember that day, and probably some of them do too.

The quote: “The fear of not looking good is the greatest enemy of learning” (P. Senge I think) touches upon the same thing, but goes a bit further. Not only would we have more fun, but could we also learn more if we were less afraid of looking good?

As a University lecturer it puzzled me why so many of the questions I got were questions they obviously already knew the answer too. The question was asked to look good.

Is ignorance scary? Is lack of knowledge a weakness?

Many teambuilding exercises have this element in them. People try to learn juggling; we dress in silly costumes etc. We look stupid and laugh, and sometimes it also gives us insights we did not have before.
But how well does this transfer to the company scene?

What can I do this week that is stupid but add to the fun around me?
How can I clearly verbalise my ignorance to increase my learning?
Do we need a bit more madness at the workplace?


Between two evils always pick the one you haven’t tried. — Mae West

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar